Monday, October 11, 2010

Post for the Media

I have always loved fashion! Growing up in the country two hours from Adelaide, I had limited access to shops. I'd spend my time pouring over fashion magazines and dreaming up my own designs. I'd stick A4 paper together to draft my own patterns and sew them with the help of my Mum. In year nine I realised that fashion could be a career, until then I'd always imagined myself going to uni and studying something 'academic.' I studied Home Economics Textiles throughout high school and my fantastic teacher did everything she could to expand my knowledge and skills to prepare me for tafe. I feared not being accepted into the Applied Fashion Design and Technology course. Luckily for me I got in, shifted to Adelaide, and have loved every minute!

My graduation collection, titled Intergalactica, is architecturally based and inspired by space and the plates of armadillos. Verging on pieces of art, the collection treads a fine line between being wearable and gallery showpieces. A robotic image is created with rigid leather panelling and exaggerated silhouettes, then softened with sheer but structured elements. It's futuristic, outrageous and shocking.

I can't decide on my favourite piece,it changes every day, today I'd have to say it's the outfit I used in my photo shoot. It's a black and gold snakeskin print leotard, with black leather armour at the hips and shoulders. I love the silhouette and strength it portrays. It probably sounds a bit obvious, but it's the sort of thing I can see Lady Gaga wearing.

Next year I hope to gain employment within the fashion industry in Adelaide. As a side project, I plan to design and make a one off outfit every month and auction them online to cover my costs. Everything I design is a statement, big, dramatic and bold. I'm also a perfectionist, so everything I make has to fit perfectly and be sewn with precision. It will be my creative outlet, not something I plan to make millions out of... but you never know what might happen in the future...

My design aesthetic?

"Why be ordinary when you can be extraordinary?"


Inspiration Board

No comments:

Post a Comment